Android Studio crashing upon emulator use

Posted over 1 year ago by Edgar.baake

Post a topic
Un Solved
E
Edgar.baake

It seems like an old hat by now, but the ignorance towards earlier topic starters had me roll back time, hoping things would change and SoftBank would start to appreciate their customers after all.

The topic at hand is nothing new (the support forum is almost exclusively filled with this or similar issues): Upon firing up the pepper SDK emulator my Android Studio (freshly installed according to this genuinely well-written guide: https://developer.softbankrobotics.com/pepper-qisdk/getting-started/installing-pepper-sdk-plug) crashes. Fullstop.

The error logs reveal this information (see attached files):

2022-09-01 16:08:11 ERROR ActionManagerImpl:213 - ID "com.softbank.robot.sdkplugin.sdk.manager.actions.ShowSdkManagerAction" is already taken by action "Robot SDK Manager (Robot SDK Manager)" (Plugin: Pepper SDK). Action "Robot SDK Manager (Robot SDK Manager)" (Plugin: Pepper SDK) cannot use the same ID [Plugin: com.softbank.robot.sdkplugin]
com.intellij.diagnostic.PluginException: ID "com.softbank.robot.sdkplugin.sdk.manager.actions.ShowSdkManagerAction" is already taken by action "Robot SDK Manager (Robot SDK Manager)" (Plugin: Pepper SDK). Action "Robot SDK Manager (Robot SDK Manager)" (Plugin: Pepper SDK) cannot use the same ID [Plugin: com.softbank.robot.sdkplugin]...

and

2022-09-01 16:08:11 ERROR ActionManagerImpl:217 - Android Studio Chipmunk | 2021.2.1 Patch 2  Build #AI-212.5712.43.2112.8815526
2022-09-01 16:08:11 ERROR ActionManagerImpl:220 - JDK: 11.0.12; VM: OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM; Vendor: Oracle Corporation
2022-09-01 16:08:11 ERROR ActionManagerImpl:223 - OS: Windows 10
2022-09-01 16:08:11 ERROR ActionManagerImpl:229 - Plugin to blame: Pepper SDK version: 1.5.2
2022-09-01 16:08:11 ERROR ActionManagerImpl:237 - Last Action:
2022-09-01 16:08:11 ERROR ActionManagerImpl:213 - ID "com.softbank.robot.sdkplugin.robot.emulator.launch.LaunchEmulatorAction" is already taken by action "Emulator (Launch emulator)" (Plugin: Pepper SDK). Action "Emulator (Launch emulator)" (Plugin: Pepper SDK) cannot use the same ID [Plugin: com.softbank.robot.sdkplugin]
com.intellij.diagnostic.PluginException: ID "com.softbank.robot.sdkplugin.robot.emulator.launch.LaunchEmulatorAction" is already taken by action "Emulator (Launch emulator)" (Plugin: Pepper SDK). Action "Emulator (Launch emulator)" (Plugin: Pepper SDK) cannot use the same ID [Plugin: com.softbank.robot.sdkplugin]

openly blaming the pepper SDK and referencing some sort of ID conflict I am not able to grasp.

Oddly enough, another colleague running a Windows 10 and a Linux distribution (don't know which one) experienced the same issues, whereas yet another colleague managed to get it to run smoothly on his Apple machine and - with some minor challenges - on his Windows 10 machine.

Even though some (wild, annoying to realise and potentially non-working) workarounds have been posted over time, a proper fix would be highly appreciated.

Disclaimer: Even though I did not register a pepper robot on this profile, I am representing a group of scientists who are trying to use a pepper robot for their academic purposes.

Attachments (1)

2 Votes

7 Comments

Sorted by
C

Clement Portales posted over 1 year ago Admin

Hello Edgar, 

I understand your frustration, unfortunately there is currently no resources in Aldebaran to work on a fix. It is a known issue however and it will be looked into when time and resources allow it. 

However, I understand that you have a Pepper available, would it be possible for you to use the real pepper as a workaround for the emulator problem ? 

Best,

Clement

0 Votes

E

Edgar.baake posted over 1 year ago

Hello Clement,

I appreciate your quick response, even though it doesn't quite reduce the initial frustration you adequately diagnosed above.

You are correct with your assessment of the situation, however you will understand that using pepper for development purposes is quite a nuisance and a quick emulation of fresh code is much more viable, particularly since working from home is very much en vogue these days.

I would love for Aldebaran to at least hint towards potential error causes. Since this issue does not affect everybody, I suppose there has to be a feasible workaround that does not involve hacking the pepper SDK.

Best,

Edgar

2 Votes

R

Rbray2 posted over 1 year ago

Hi,

Has this been resolved yet? I have had the same issue for a while now.

Best,

Rob

2 Votes

E

Edgar.baake posted over 1 year ago

Hi Rob,

to be fair, I wouldn't be able to tell, but I can't imagine Aldebaran seriously working on this. My workaround eventually consisted of installing a Linux (Mint) partition where the Pepper SDK Emulator works like a charm. In case you're not a Linux guy - some distributions are really easy to handle nowadays and frankly, the hassle with setting up a small partition is negligible in comparison with the time I spent troubleshooting the original issue.

Best,

Edgar

0 Votes

R

Rbray2 posted over 1 year ago

Hi Edgar,

Thank you for your reply! Funnily enough, I decided yesterday to do the same thing after seeing this post https://support.unitedrobotics.group/support/discussions/topics/80000657899. It's working pretty well on my Ubuntu 22.04 with minor bugs. Seems like they aren't really working on it, which is weird since it looks like it's been a problem for so long. 

Best,

Rob

0 Votes

S

S. Scholz posted 12 months ago

Is this problem still not solved yet? I have the same issue under windows 11.

0 Votes

P

Pierre Nocera posted 7 months ago

I get the same errors on Ubuntu 22.04 / Android Studio  BumbleBee 2021.1.1 patch 3

Is there at least a workaround ? downgrade the Plugin version ?

Couldn't the plugin simply be made opensource so we could fix it by ourselves ?

0 Votes

Login or Sign up to post a comment